Welcome to my blog!

On my blog I posted videos, pictures, and information and facts on social media and how it affects people. I mainly focused my research on the positive and negative ways social media impacts society. I found that it can be very helpful and useful but it can also be very detrimental. I learned that when used recklessly and not carefully it can ruin someone’s life. It can lead to addiction, behavior issues, and even mental disorders. The problem is that social media is easy to misuse and people don’t realize that it affects so many others. But I also learned when used responsibly it can be a great tool for society. It can help solve crime, help other people, bring communities together, and stay in touch with friends and family. I agree that there are many positive and negative sides to social media, and I believe it’s all about using it moderately and responsibly. I learned a lot writing this blog and I hope you can learn more about social media from reading it:)

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Social Media Addiction



Morrison, K (2014, March, 11). How Social Media Has Become an Addiction. retrieved April 4 2014, from Social Times Web Site: http://socialtimes.com/social-media-become-addiction-infographic_b144691


The main topic of this article is about the issue of social media becoming an addiction.  Morrison points out that social media takes up a lot of our time.  And that for some people it may be putting their physical and mental health at risk.  About 72 percent of adults use social media and the average user spends as much time on it a week as a part time job.  Social media has been found to cause low self-esteem, loss of sleep, work, and even relationship problems.  Morrison concludes that social media addiction might really be a problem with brain chemistry.  A study from Harvard shows that talking about yourself online can cause a part of your brain to light up that also lights up when using an addictive substance such as cocaine.  For some people it is very easy to get hooked.  I think this article is very useful to the topic.  Some people think there are no issues with social media, but this article shows how detrimental and harmful social media can really be.  

2 comments:

  1. Facebook and Instagram are great examples of social media addictions. Twitter is espcially know for "CANARD" tweets. It amazes me how people have lost their sense of time and get wrapped up in these activities. They tend to ignore their surroundings, and become all wrapped up in reading and posting on these different sites. If there are actually people who spend as much time on their computers as they do their jobs, when do they sleep? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that social media takes up a lot of our time. For example, the first thing we do when we wake up is checking our Facebook, Tweeter and Messenger. In our free time and before we go to sleep we check them again. Social media becomes our habit and daily activity.

    ReplyDelete